Dr. Jason Nicholas Talks Dog Safety in His New Book
Dr. Jason Nicholas, aka “The Preventive Vet,” condenses a plethora of tips and recommendations in his recent book release, “101 Essential Tips You Need to Raise a Happy, Healthy, Safe Dog.” I first met Dr. Nicholas at a BlogPaws conference and when he filled me in on his niche I knew he was onto something. Often, pet owners wait until its too late to take the precautionary steps for dog safety.
I’m a perfect example, unfortunately. One day I decided to clean out my medicine cabinet. Unbeknownst to me, a pill capsule fell onto the floor. Later that evening, I noticed Finn was chewing on something – I ran over, and low and behold, he had chowed down on the contents of the capsule. I went into full panic mode – I called the ASPCA Poison Hotline and we ended up having to go to the emergency room.
So, as you can imagine, I was more than interested when Dr Nicholas sent me a free copy of his book. It inspired me to do a full audit of my apartment. I already had a first aid kit, but it was missing some essential components (namely, hydrogen peroxide, which is used to induce vomiting). After reading the book, I realized that not only did I have a lot of work to do, I wasn’t as informed as I thought!
The book is broken down into the following sections:
- Prevent Digestive Problems – tips on what can make your dog’s stomach seriously upset
- Prevent Trauma – covers things you wouldn’t necessarily think of (like why you shouldn’t use sticks for a game of fetch)
- Prevent Toxicities – all of the toxic items you may have right in your home
- Prevent Disease or Recognize it Earlier – get familiar with your dog’s body
- Prevent Multiple Problems – a “catch-all” section for training and planning ahead
- Be Prepared for Emergencies – what to do in advance so that you are prepared
The book is easy to read and I definitely learned a few things I hadn’t known before when it comes to dog safety. But an even better part of the book is that if you register your copy on ThePreventiveVet.com, you can receive updates on important dog safety information. Also, every three months you can vote to help ThePreventiveVet.com choose a deserving pet charity to be awarded a donation of 5% of book proceeds from the prior three months. You can buy the book for only $9.95 on The Preventive Vet website and don’t forget to register your copy!
ThePhillyDog.com was provided a complementary copy of “101 Essential Tips You Need to Raise a Happy, Healthy, Safe Dog.”